Saturday 4 July 2015

SteelCon 2015 - Can you really hack an airplane? (myths & truths)

I was very excited to hear my talk that was sent to SteelCon 2015 (http://www.steelcon.info) was accepted. This time I am talking about something different than usual, which has to do about hacking airplanes.
A lot of noise, many discussions and many articles have been written lately due to the recent so claimed airplane hack. It is indeed very difficult, up to impossible, to find information about the security of an airplane's systems if you are not actually the person responsible for designing and building such systems. Of course, it is understandable that these details regarding these systems will never become available to the general public for security reasons.

Personally, I am an airplane enthusiast and I have been studying and learning about airplanes all my life, mostly as a hobby. I started with the best flight simulators I could get my hands on, sat down with many real pilots to learn all the technical details and I have a few flight hours in a real simulator of a Boeing 737-800. Due to my background in security, I always looked at the airplanes from a different perspective and after reading so many articles online I decided to share what I have come across after all these years.

The purpose of the talk is to present you with small truths and facts about airplanes I managed to gather over the years. The facts I am going to present you with will help you better understand if what you reading about airplanes' security is actually true or a misleading story based on fictional facts and assumptions.

The presentation will allow you to draw your own conclusions about the security of airplanes' avionics and in-flight systems while looking a bit closer to the so called in-flight entertainment systems. 


I am looking forward to the event, hoping to have a chance to speak to all of you at the conference and potentially share a drink or two. I really believe that anyone who has the opportunity to be at this conference should not miss the chance. We are all going to be there and if you have like five minutes to spare, come and say hi!

If you want to tweet about the talk don't forget to use the SteelCon handler: @Steel_Con

Copy-Past Tweet for sharing: 

Can you really hack an airplane? (myths & truths) via @drgfragkos at @Steel_Con #SteelCon 

Fasten your seat belts and join me to a presentation that will take you away to a fantastic trip. If you would like to find out more or share your thoughts with me follow me on twitter: @drgfragkos

..update 15/July/2015: Read Scott's (@Scott_Helme) amazing write up about the recent Steel Con conference in Sheffield. He has also some very nice things to say about my presentation and the subject of my talk. :D 
I would like to thank him once more for his kind words. If you are on twitter, re-tweet and share! https://scotthelme.co.uk/steelcon-2015/ (let me know by using my twitter handle as well: @drgfragkos)

No comments:

Post a Comment